Sunday, December 6, 2009

Chai Latte



I must admit I was quite apprehensive to let go of Autumn. When the fiery hues gave way to bare branches, I knew it was timeto let go. In my corner of the Northwest, we don't receive anywhere near the amount of snow other areas get. Last year, it was wonderous! I hope it is the same again, I love winter! I feel it's my element...most of the time, that is. I miss utilizing my 'polar cat driving skills', throwing snowballs, and building snow families. My list can go on and on...I must not forget the serious layering, wearing cumbersome snow gear, salting walkways...I even miss the nuances of winter!

In celebration of the suddenly chilly plunge in temperatures, Chai Latte is the drink that warms the Heart and Soul! Softly spicy, smooth, and subtley sexy...

As much as I enjoy the winter, my Heart goes out to those who minimally have, or do not have the means to stay out of the harsh and cold wintery weather


Chai Latte
minimally adapted from Taste of Home

2 individual tea bags
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 evaporated milk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons refrigerated French vanilla nondairy creamer
Whipped topping and ground nutmeg, optional
~
Place the tea bags, cinnamon, ginger and allspice in the coffee filter of a drip coffeemaker.
Add water; brew according to manufacturer's directions.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the milk, brown sugar and creamer. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
Pour milk mixture into mugs; stir in tea.
Add whipped topping and sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.
Yield: 2 servings.

* Brown sugar is fairly 'heavy' and tends to sink.
* Stir or whisk constantly to dissolve sugar, otherwise you will consume crunchy tea
* Recipe can easily be tripled or made in mass quanties
* I may reduce the ginger by a smidgen next time, as my 4 year old mentioned it was a 'little too spicy'

No comments: