Friday, June 19, 2009

Chocolate Pudding Pops





Finally, a moment to reflect and fire up some brain cells! So now that the weather around here is again mild and so to my liking--upper 60's, lower 70's, with lovely overcast, and cool evenings--I feel at ease. Of course after the 'heat wave', we made chocolate pudding pops. I was surprised I had forgotten what simple pleasure resided in a pudding pop--such creamy, chocolatey, heavenly goodness...mmmm, just a moment...I have brain freeze.

Pudding pops are quite versatile with endless possibilities and kid friendly--not only to enjoy but to help make as well...my son had the idea to add some chips, 'the brown chocolate chips'. It was perfect! I was struggling with how to punch up the chocolatey flavor, and that was the perfect solution! He has a way with timing and innocently great ideas.
Next, I 'll need to try vanilla pudding pops with strawberries and white chocolate chips...


Update: I replaced half of milk with 1 cup evaporated milk, omited vanilla, added 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa..and KAPAO! Richer creamier pudding!
-9JUL09


Chocolate Pudding Pops

6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder*
1/4 cup cornstarch
6-7 tablespoons sugar
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Combine dry ingredients in heavy sauce pan
Stir in some milk to make a smooth base
Slowly add remainder of milk and vanilla. Quickly whisk to avoid lumps.
Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, while stirring or whisking .
Allow to gently boil until thickened to desired consistency.

Quickly pour into popsicle molds, freeze for about 4 hours. Once set, place popsicle molds in a warm water bath and gently wiggle to release pure popsicle splendor!

To serve as a pudding dessert:
Pour into 3-4 dessert dishes and chill until set, about 3 hours.
Cover with plastic wrap to prevent skin formation.

*I used natural unsweetened cocoa powder. I'm sure you can use Dutch processed cocoa powder. I have not tried it, so I can't the compare the two.

** I evenly distributed about 1 oz. of milk chocolate chips once it was in the molds (I wanted pockets of chocolate)

No comments: